This salad started off as a tabbouleh recipe, but we kept tweaking and substituting until it deserves its own recipe now. Instead of grain with some greens, this is mostly greens with some grain.
- 1/2 cup millet
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4-1/3 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and fresh-ground black pepper
- 2 bunches of curly parsley, roughly chopped (leaves and small stems only)
- 1 cup roughly chopped mint leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped scallion
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 4 Roma tomatoes, cored, seeded, and chopped
Soak the millet in hot water to cover while you chop all the other ingredients and squeeze the lemons, approximately 20-30 minutes. Drain well, getting rid of as much water as possible. Mix the oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, then stir in the millet.
Right before you’re ready to eat, toss the herbs and tomatoes together. Pour in the millet/liquid mixture, toss gently, and serve.