These aren’t your mother’s grilled cheese sandwiches, but they are delicious. The main point of the yogurt is just to bind the other ingredients together, so you should be able to substitute with something else without changing the flavor.
- 2 New Mexico green chiles
- 3oz garbanzo beans (from a can or precooked)
- Several spoonfuls of salsa
- 1/2 shallot, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese (Monterrey Jack or cheddar)
- A couple spoonfuls of plain yogurt
- 1 whole pita
Mash the garbanzo beans and salsa into a paste. Add shallots, cheese, and yogurt and stir until well combined. Add salt to taste. Rinse chiles and remove seeds. Cut the pita in half. Put one chile in each half, then divide the mixture evenly between the two halves. Heat a little oil in a frying pan, then cook until the pita just starts to get crispy on the outside. Flip and cook until sandwiches are warm through.