Gnocchi always goes well with a cream sauce. In this version, the added vegetables create some wonderful extra flavor (especially the green chile). The sauce will come out quite thick if you follow the proportions given; add a little extra milk if you prefer a runnier sauce.
- 10 stalks of asparagus, trimmed and chopped into bite- size pieces
- 1 16oz package of potato gnocchi
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, diced (optional)
- 1–2 handfuls of small brown and/ or white mushrooms, diced
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup flour, all- purpose or whole wheat
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 tbsp freshly grated hard cheese ie parmesan or romano (optional)
- 2 New Mexican green chiles, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped (optional)
- Add a small amount of water to the bottom of a pan and bring to a slight boil. Add the asparagus to the pot and cover. Cook for a few minutes, until the asparagus are softening but not quite cooked completely. Drain and set aside.
- Bring a full pot of water to a boil and add the gnocchi. Cook according to the instructions listed on the package. When finished, drain and set aside. While you are boiling the gnocchi, begin preparing the vegetables (#3-#9)
- Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. Begin to sauté the bell peppers and mushrooms. Add a pinch of salt and pepper.
- When the bell peppers begin to soften, add the ¼ cup of flour and stir thoroughly.
- Add the ½ cup heavy whipping cream to the pan and stir thoroughly, coating all of the vegetables.
- Add the ¼ cup of milk to the pan and stir thoroughly, coating all of the vegetables. At this point, the mixture should be slightly soupy but will thicken while cooking; if the mixture is too thin in texture, add more flour now.
- Add the pre-prepared asparagus to the vegetables being sautéed and stir thoroughly.
- If adding cheese and New Mexican green chiles, add now and stir thoroughly.
- Turn heat down to medium-low and add the gnocchi, stirring thoroughly.
- Continue to cook until it’s the desired thickness.
- Enjoy with a glass of wine and some company ☺